The polymath blog

February 28, 2017

Blog theme changed

Filed under: planning — Terence Tao @ 5:19 pm

Update from Gil: I managed to retrieve rubric but the subtitle disappeared.

As you may have noticed, the layout of this blog has changed.  I was trying to address a request by one of the commenters here to try to enable the links to recent comments to change colour if they were clicked on; unfortunately I was not able to do so, and in the course of doing so managed to change the theme in such a manner that the original theme (“Rubric”, which has been retired by wordpress) is no longer recoverable.  I hope the new theme is not too jarring in design (it is the closest I could find to the original layout, which tried to maximise the width of the main posts in order to facilitate detailed comments).  If there are any experts in CSS, wordpress, and/or design who can help improve the layout, please feel free to add suggestions in the comments of this post. (In particular, if there is a way to widen the main portion of the blog further, please let me know.)

7 Comments

1. The CSS problem is with the “#menu a:link, #menu a:visited{color:black;border:none;}” in the file rubric/style.css.
    This forces both unvisited links (“a:link”) and visited ones (“a:visited”) to display identically (when inside the part of the display named “menu”, which is the right-hand column and includes the “recent columns” as a sub-section.)
    The idea that a web site should force this preference on a user’s own private web browser display is very wrong, but a battle lost decades ago. Form over content!
    I’d just remove the ” “#menu a:link, #menu a:visited{color:black;border:none;}” entirely from that style.css file and see if it works to your satisfaction.

Comment by Richard — March 1, 2017 @ 8:59 am

• Thanks for this! I am not currently able to edit the style file directly, but I added additional CSS to change visited links to purple which seemed to do something at least.

If you know how to add CSS to restore the tagline as Gil suggests that would be great also.

Comment by Terence Tao — March 1, 2017 @ 4:04 pm

2. It seems the net works wrong, maybe it is because of that. Perhaps a clue could instead to sustain a view of your home without “” for being sure to avoid any surprise.

Comment by george janre — March 2, 2017 @ 10:01 pm

3. I thought this article is and not keeping your head stuck in the phone
    the whole while, either) and living a life in full appreciation of the natural world, helps people feel grounded.
    Thinking about deep philosophical subjects is likewise an experience
    of a different order that can aid us make the discovery
    of self understanding. http://pregnancy-massage-nj.njmassage.info/

Comment by http://pregnancy-massage-nj.njmassage.info/ — November 27, 2017 @ 1:43 am

4. I actuɑlly felt your post waѕ and not keeⲣіng your head stuck
    in the phone the whоle while, either) and living free, living life with appreciation fοr Nature, кeeps people feeling grounded.
    Phiⅼoѕophizing about key topics is likewiѕe an experience that can aid us know
    ouгselves. http://cort.as/-_WWJ

Comment by NJ massage at home — December 5, 2017 @ 5:26 pm

5. Wһat I in aϲtual fact concern myself most in regard to is wellness themes.
    By myself, I signed uρ for newspapers that concerns this subject matter,
    and I cօntinue informed aƅout the most recent wellness lab
    analyses. Just how iѕ this іmportant? I feel there’s no
    morе critical emphasis for my hourѕ. Furthermore, thіѕ
    blog entry seems as though it’s deserving the time to read.
    I sift througһ thousands or even more of bloɡs every week.

Honestly, my reаr usually is painfսl and I ԁesire a new hobby.
    lol Anyways, Ӏ believe if аlmost evеryone publіshed about their
    unique time in the univеrѕe, and did so well, we’d һave a much
    more interesting society. http://teil.cc/kPgy5

Comment by teil.cc — December 23, 2017 @ 7:48 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Blog at WordPress.com.